Monday, May 23, 2011

Shades in fiction

Recently on twitter I engaged in a discussion with the lovely Leah Cypess regarding diversity in fiction. Before deciding to pursue my writing ambition I first had to read tons of books which is the #1 goal for all writers . When I concluded the novels I was left with one nagging thought many characters in fiction are white, and I had a bizarre conversation with a friend few months ago she had said if I write black characters in my novel it won’t sell. I don’t have the stats of how many books have majority of black or white characters , the 50 books I read last summer had mostly white characters. I think fiction should not have boundaries and its up to an author to make the choice what shade their character should be. Me on the other hand I believe the worlds I create will be more interesting with different shades of people.
Check out the lovely Leah Cypess book MISTWOOD and releasing May 2011 NIGHTSPELL

No comments:

Life

  Silence.   Scream.    Couldn't utter a word but what was felt.   Darkness clutching the throat.  The threat of the freight train crash...