Friday, July 26, 2019

Diversity




Recently I got in  debate on social media with a writer, I didn't know this writer I saw his post in my timeline and got worked up. premise he wanted to get feedback on his  setting in which was predominately inhibited by people of colour. 

It hit a nerve. 

The reason: for years people of colour experiences whether fiction or non-fiction has been written by Caucasian people, before I go on I would be remiss to not say said author clarified the story idea was his and was not inspired by the setting simply  the setting worked for his story but I was confused he wanted feedback to make sure the setting was accurate he had visited the location but wanted someone from the setting to help authenticate the setting etc.

I was still worked up even though I accepted his response in order to move on from the debate, the issue is that to date the publishing sector has not made huge strides in publishing more books with diverse characters or acquired more authors of colour  and to suggest perhaps there are not enough diverse authors wanting opportunity to get their work published is not true I am one of such writers, even though I am not ready to seek an agent or get my mss published I am also a reader and it would be so refreshing to read more diverse books especially in the genres I write (YA/Adult romance)I was also thinking and this may be a quirky thought what if within novels authors make an active attempt to feature diversity via their character or a Caucasian character making an observation it doesn't have to be so obvious to make a point which will likely start another debate but worked naturally in the story, that is what I do in all my WIP I want my fictional world to have some aspect of my community, my city.       






Keisha Martin

No comments:

Life

  Silence.   Scream.    Couldn't utter a word but what was felt.   Darkness clutching the throat.  The threat of the freight train crash...