Sunday, October 16, 2011

Perception (its my first long post)

Perusing a few blogs lately, I found a few discussions relation to blogging and getting tired, of it Natalie Whipple had a post in which she discussed how exposed she now felt since getting the news she will be published, people assumptions of her etc. Then I read Amanda Hocking Blog in which she spoke about the frustration when in interviews the question focused on how much she made off her e-published books she would like people to focus on the fact she was in love with her novel from its inception. Both discussions are different but not really much of a stretch because both situations relates to the perception of people, the more I learn about the business the more I realize there are things that will be out of my control, and from the experiences I read of other writers/authors the control gets less when they are published, such as deals, an author obviously wants the best advance possible come on we all have to be honest, the flip side of this is that the more you get the more books you'll have to sell to enable the publisher to earn back the advance, its not guaranteed that will happen and only a handful of writers have surpassed the expectations of their debut book, i.e. J.K Rowling, Stephenie Meyer there are plenty more but these are the two presently most people recall.

I believe the key to surviving in the business is trust. First trust in your dream and willingness to never give up, I have been pursuing my dream since June 2009, back then like most aspiring writers I didn't take it serious and queried way too early, you can check previous post how this went, you will likely guess right, it didn't go good.

Secondly if and when I am agented/published I plan continuing trusting the people around me that will help me at my dream, in addition, focus on the pro and cons so speak of decisions that come your way, the fact of human nature is that no one can control what a person says, if you are in a setting in which you can fake smile and then walk away without giving the person the satisfaction is sweet but rare. For writers that too is rare you can't control assumptions or bad reviews, I recently got upset when I read a review for an awesome upcoming writer if you haven't checked her out do so she also talked about blogging and other perspectives on this topic as well. Roni Loren

No comments:

Life

  Silence.   Scream.    Couldn't utter a word but what was felt.   Darkness clutching the throat.  The threat of the freight train crash...